Sunday, July 24, 2011

Aneurysm

That's a scary word.

And its become all too familiar a topic of conversation in our house here in recent times.

In the last four years, four of my family members have had aneurysms.  Three of which were cerebral, one aortic.  All from my mom's side of the family.

The first one was a shock.  My uncle, 4 years ago.

The second seemed all too familiar.  My aunt, 2 years ago. 

The third happened right after the second.  My other uncle, 2 years ago. 

And the fourth was perhaps the most concerning.  My 22 year old cousin, this year.

So, when I saw my doctor for my annual physical last week, we discussed my concerns about this family history I now have.  And she told me she would like to have a look at my own brain and aorta.

Let me tell you this is not good for my hypochondria.

My dad died of AML at age 57.  And you should know that because of that, every time I get a bruise of any sort, I watch it like a hawk to make sure it disappears. 

Kind of morbid, I realize.

So I am looking forward to getting some peace of mind in regards to this aneurysm threat.  In 2 weeks, I am scheduled for a CT scan of my brain and an abdominal ultrasound to check my aorta.

My mom has been tested, and everything checked out okay.  What a huge relief.

I'll be okay too.

1 comment:

  1. How do you keep that bright smile with all this heavy stuff going on? It really speaks volumes to me and I have developed a great respect for you.

    ReplyDelete