Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Today Is Brought To You By The Number 12

Twelve.
Thats the number of scars.
The number of scars that Campbell has.
The number of scars that Campbell has from IVs, transfusions, and PICC lines.
Wow, right?
But wait.

That's just her right arm.
That's not counting her other arm, her head, and her legs.
It just occurred to me the other day.  That I had never counted them.  We were sitting by the window.  Daylight was streaming in.  The tiny white spots appeared illuminated on her delicate skin.  I noticed.  And I started counting.
I lost count a couple times and gave up. 
It literally took my breath away.
These are battle wounds from the NICU.
These are the wounds you acquire when you are fighting for your life.
Lenay has countless scars also.  And both girls have lumps on their heels, reminders of the many heel sticks they received in the NICU.
Scars and heel lumps are common among preemies.
I have this great book, The Preemie Parent's Companion, which talks about these scars, and how they grow bigger and become more obvious in the first 2 years of life.  It goes on to say that in the next couple years, they will fade and become less conspicuous.
There is something beautiful about all scars of whatever nature. A scar means the hurt is over, the wound is closed and healed, done with.  ~ Harry Crews

2 comments:

  1. I have done the same thing! It really is sad to think of what they endured during their first few months! Mine are 3 and I can still see the pic line scars in their arms and hand I.V. scars.

    ReplyDelete